cliveb;359831 Wrote:
> My recollection is that line level input sensitivities around the 100mV
> mark was quite common back in the 70s. Most devices such as FM tuners
> and tape decks output fairly modest voltage levels. It was only when CD
> players arrived on the scene in the 80s that outputs of 1V and 2V became
> commonplace.
>

> 10V was the minimum overload capability you'd expect from a decent
> input with 100mV sensitivity. For a 2V input, 10V is only a little over
> 12dB of headroom, which is hardly adequate.

hmmm - yes I meant 150 not 250.
Many preamps with split-rail supplies use +/-12v so max swing is
(theoretically) 24 v pk-pk...

I think that these days most line inputs are set to 500mV sensitivity,
with a proper CD input being at 2V.

Anyway, 187mV is too low for a CD or squeezebox. It will need an
attenuator in-line to avoid overloading the input stage IMHO, depending
on its gain staging and overload margin (headroom).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)