>Yep I guess SC only populated the 'home > artists' using the 'artist'
>field, its only the fact a logic statement must group as compilations
>if that option is ticked and not the fact it is reading from the 'album
>artist' field.  if there was a way to get it to read from 'album artist'
>only, it would be sorted, thats all i needed to do in winamp earlier,
>took me all of a few minutes and its sorted now in that. maybe
>something to look at in a future upgrade for SC.

It's easier to understand if you know how SC stores tag information in the
database.

Normal albums have normal Artist (and Band, Composer and Conductor) contributors
Albums with an "Album Artist" have Track Artist (and Band, Composer and
Conductor) contributors
Compilation albums have Track Artist (and Band, Composer and Conductor)
contributors

Browse Artists will list:

a. "Various Artists" (containing all compilation albums)
b. all artists with Artist or Album Artist contributor roles
c. Composers if Composer checkbox is ticked in the settings
d. Bands if Band checkbox is ticked in the settings
e. Conductors if Conductor checkbox is ticked in the settings

When you are viewing a list of albums for an artist, you would see all albums
that have that artist as an Artist, Album Artist or Track Artist (and I think
also Band, Composer or Conductor if the checkboxes have been selected in the
settings).  i.e. you are browsing an artist, so it will show *ALL* songs by
that artist.

Incidentally, if you click on an artist link where it says "Album Artist: xxx",
you would only see albums where artist xxx was an Album Artist.  This is true
for all of the contributor artist links - click on "Track Artist: xxx" and you
would only see albums where the artist was only a contributor on albums that
have an album artist.  I've always thought that this was a bit inconsistent
(not necessary wrong) - I think that wherever an artist name is displayed,
clicking on it should show a list of albums with any contributor role, as if
browsing to the artist normally.