>The problem is that using ALBUMARTIST tag sort of puts track artist in
>the back row. Manipulating COMPILATION tags on particular tracks
>resolves it. It has nothing to do with the concept of compilation album
>or any other concept. It just works and, if I'm not mistaken, that is
>what the OP wants to know.

That's right - compilation albums or albums with album artists will have track
artists instead of artist roles.  SC only lists artists that have artist role,
and not track role, unless "List compilation albums under each artist" is
selected.

So you can browse a list of all artists, or only artists with albums, but not a
mixture, without manipulating the database content manually.

Messing about with the content of the DB manually isn't a great idea!  Perhaps
an alternative solution to your situation would be to add Diana Krall as an
additional album artist for that one track (I haven't tried this, but I think
in theory this would make both album artists browseable, and other track
artists would not appear browsable).

The original question was:
> Q: Does the presence of a tag COMPILATION=0 override the VA detection
> and force an album to not be identified as a compilation? (In which
> case, under what artist would it be listed?)
Setting COMPILATION=0 does override VA detection; such that the album will not
be a compilation, but instead be several albums, and each contributing artist
will take a normal artist role, and thus each will always appear under the
Browse Artist link.  But that is unlikely to be what anyone wants, unless two
albums have incorrectly been joined together ("The Greatest Hits" problem).