marsboer;369106 Wrote:
> It seems that someone at Slimdevices finally noticed!
> Bug has been updated with targetet milestone for a fix in 7.3.1.
Yes, but...

The affected component has been changed from hardware players to
SqueezeCenter. That implies they plan to fix it at the server end.
Assuming that SqueezeCenter tells the player how much volume adjustment
to apply (based on the values stored in the database), then it is
probably a very simple fix.

However, there are additional subtleties. Sean's comment (made in July)
shows that he understands that if there is also some digital attenuation
at the player, then this should be factored into how the replaygain may
be adjusted. I mentioned this as a possible "nice to have" in my
original bug report. I'm not convinced the other Slim Devices folks
have taken this on board.

What follows is speculation on my part, and it may be completely wrong.
But from the evidence available to me, it makes sense:

Firstly, it's my understanding that the digital volume control is done
in the player firmware. It must be, because we know there are different
loudness envelopes in different firmwares. Since the web interface also
responds to changes in the volume, presumably the player reports back
to SqueezeCenter when the volume is changed. Or perhaps the server
tells the player what setting (in terms of 0-100) it should set its
volume. But it seems clear that only the player's firmware is in a
position to know what actual dB attenuation a given setting
represents.

Therefore, if we want to take into account the digital volume setting
when deciding what to do with replaygain, it can only be done in
SqueezeCenter if it knows the dB attenuation in the player. But unless
SqueezeCenter knows the volume envelopes of all firmwares for all
player types, it's in no position to do this.

My conclusion is that in order to do a "full" fix of this issue, it
needs to be done in the firmware. I would very much like to be wrong
about this.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A