pfarrell;372648 Wrote:
> bobkoure wrote:
> > Get 2 1TB drives. One for your collection - and one for a backup of
> it.
>
> Or better, get 3 drives. one live, one short term backup, and one long
> term off site backup. Automate the backup from live to short term.
>
> When you go visit your kids, or inlaws or parents, take the short term
> drive to their house. Put it in a closet. Install the other backup
> drive
> in your system, make backups to it.
>
> Visit the kinfolks periodically, swap drives.
>
> Now you are safe from flood, fire, earthquake, etc.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

That's pretty much what I do here at AGB Towers with 3 x 500gb external
drives: live, local BU, remote "in-laws" BU (as well as the main
internal HDD of the desktop machine).  I also use an on-line BU service
(Carbonite), BUT that service isn't really designed or priced for a BU
of 2 or 3 hundred gigs of FLACs: I use it chiefly to BU 20gb or so of
documents, jpgs etc etc, but not music.  So that leaves a vulnerability
- if you sit and rip, say, another 20 CDs at home, and stick them in
your live and BU drives, they are still subject to earthquake and fire
until you next get to the in-laws.....

So what I do to cover the eventuality of losing the live drive and
short-term BU drives *before* I've updated the long-term "in-laws"
drive is to have a "New Additions" folder on my local main HDD which
*is* backed up to Carbonite (it's seldom more than 1gb of new rips at
any given time, and is a 3rd local copy of stuff which has been put
onto the live and local BU drives).  When I later slot the "New
Additions" into the remote BU, I then delete the contents of that
folder (which clears it from Carbonite) and then gradually build it up
again with any further new rips.

AGB

--
agbagb