Robin Bowes;382121 Wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > I don't understand how they get away with selling the SBR
> > as a separate product without providing a simple setup tool with it.
>
> > Open Source does not mean you let your users do all the work.
>
> The SBR is sold separately for users who require > 1 receiver with just
>
> one controller, i.e. buy a duet + a separate SBR or two.
>
> R.

When you read these forums the beginners who buy the DUET seem to have
the biggest issue with getting the SBR set up.  Logitech could
eliminate a huge amount of bad feelings towards their SBR by creating a
UI to set the network paramters.  It's the only device out there that I
know of that you need to set up this way.  Even CISCO routers you can
use command line, which I found easier than using the SBC.  As a matter
of fact I still do.  Although I no longer have a problem setting up a
SBR with the SBC, it still takes longer than an alternative way would.
This is self evident by the fact I and others are messing with Robin's
tool (stop the snickers) rather than using the provided routine.  There
is always an active thread calling for this exact item.

The SB line is fun, affordable and works pretty well, but all a
competitor would need to do is make a few things easier and make parts
and accessories avaliable and I think you'd see a drop in sales for
Logitech.  They (the manufacturer) seem to be pretty stubborn for
someone dealing with the general public on an entertainment product.
Just my take.

Howard

--
Howard Passman

.....and still waiting for extra cradles..
...and waiting...
...and waiting...