Steve Bernard, Jr;389996 Wrote:
> I'm not commenting on this thread as a whole but I want to correct a few
> misconceptions about iTunes where I am able. .... "Removed by iPhone"
>
> I personally maintain a FLAC library ripped with EAC for my
> SqueezeCenter music and use foobar2000 and the Nero AAC encoder to
> maintain a lossy library for my iTunes/iPod.  I find that this works
> well for my purposes.  However, using iTunes as a ripper does not
> cause the sorts of far-reaching problems you seem to be imagining.
>
> -Steve

I have to agree with Steve on this point. I also maintain a complete
FLAC library and only convert the songs I listen to on my iPhone to MP3
in a totally diffierent library. I DO NOT let iTunes see or know about
my FLAC music files.

It is my opinion that iTunes was designed with an idiot or sometimes
computer user as its end user. It tries to control and take over
everything. Its sees album art missing, is it goes and gets what it
thinks you need without any choices on your part. How hard would it
have been for iTunes to stop and ask, keep current or replace with
this?

For me the easy solution is to rip to FLAC and convert to whatever
format one wants to use with iTunes. One advantage of this is that the
FLAC files are always there to reconvert if iTunes hoses things up. And
the Squeezebox products love FLAC as its source files. Yes I go to
extremes of keeping my FLAC files on a server and my iPhone MP3s on
another machine, but its just as easy to keep them on different drives
or in completely different directories on a single machine. Most of the
issues that come up are because of iTunes.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5