OK then... I think I'm getting somewhere!!

I double-doubled checked all the cables etc.  My PC was plugged into my
Vonage box, then into the router.  I didn't think this would be a
problem, but I cut out the middle man anyway, and plugged it straight
into the router instead.  (This didn't solve the problem, but ruled
another thing out).

Then I did a bit of playing around and found the problem is Comcasts
DNS addresses.  Seems to be a lot of chatter on the internet about how
crappy they are!  So I found OpenDNS and used their address instead...
and it works!!!  Thank goodness!

And even better.... Squeezebox can connect to Squeezecenter!!!  So
happy!!!

So my last question (I promise!)... is there any security risk or
danger using an open DNS rather than Comcast?  I don't want to be
exposing myself to anything/one nasty!

Lastly... thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you EVERYONE that has
helped me!  I really appreciate your patients with me!

--
LiggySasha