Hi,

This is a little bit thinking about multiple NIC cards and routing.
Now I have my Squeezebox connected to the SqueezeCenter on my PC
successfully, but I have spent a week until I have figured out what was
wrong.

So having an XP SP3, and I have 3 NIC card in the PC. Here is the
connections:
1. NIC1, this is connected to the ADSL modem, and got 169.254.98.4
automatically, and having 255.255.0.0 mask.
2. NIC2, this is connected to another PC directly with crosslink cable,
here I assigned 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 mask for the NIC card
manually, the other end of the cable I assigned 192.168.0.80.
3. NIC3, this is connected to the Squeezebox directly with a crosslink
cable. I assigned this card 169.254.190.108 and 255.255.0.0 mask
manually.

At this point, I had a lot of fight, since the Squeezebox was never
able to connect to the PC. I have restarted everything, reinstalled the
cards etc, etc. The Squeezebox assigned itself a 169.254.x.x address and
255.255.0.0 mask automatically, so it was good, but it just didn't
wanted to connect to the SqueezeCenter.

Finally I checked the connections with the CurrPorts utility, and I
discovered that the Squeezebox reached the PC successfully, but somehow
the feedback connection never came back to the Squeezebox.  Then I tried
to ping the Squeezebox from the PC, and it was timed out.

At this point I discovered that the PC might route the feedback packet
to a wrong NIC card, since the 169.254.x.x was also used by NIC1 card.

Then I assigned a completely new IP range to NIC3 with the Squeezebox,
assigned 10.0.0.1 to NIC3, and I entered manually 10.0.0.20 for the
Squeezebox, and voila, the Squeezebox got connected to the PC. SO now it
looks like this:

So having an XP SP3, and I have 3 NIC card in the PC. Here is the
connections:
1. NIC1, this is connected to the ADSL modem, and got 169.254.98.4
automatically, and having 255.255.0.0 mask.
2. NIC2, this is connected to another PC directly with crosslink cable,
here I assigned 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 mask for the NIC card
manually, the other end of the cable I assigned 192.168.0.80.
3. NIC3, this is connected to the Squeezebox directly with a crosslink
cable. I assigned this card 10.0.0.1 and 255.255.0.0 mask manually. I
assigned 10.0.0.20 manually for the Squeezebox.

And this is working.

So my question:
When having multiple NIC cards, and those connected to different
devices, those should have always completely different ranges?

Can I have a 169.254.x.x subnet using for Squeezebox? Or it was the
mask which is prevented me to connect SB to SC in the first case?

Thanks

--
batka