You are correct in understanding that you need either powered speakers
or an amp between a SBR and passive speakers.

If you search these forums you will see posts about very efficient
"digital" amplifiers that are as small, or smaller, than a SBR. These
would work well for your application and wouldn't have to be managed as
you would set the volume of the amp when you install it, then control
music volume with the SBC.

There are a few forum posts that ask Slimdevices/Logitech to consider
making a device that has an integrated amp that you can directly attach
passive speakers to but there is no feedback to determine if this is
being considered. Sonos and Cisco/Linksys offer devices that do this so
market place realities may drive them to a decision. I know that I would
be very interest in a SB3 (Classic) with an integrated, highly
efficient, amp.

--
Kiwi