Chris,

just to relief you, I don't see iPeng as being as a universal
"do-anything" remote, yet I do want to finally be able to control all
music related commands with it, that's why I will add things like a
power button for a server and a way to switch to the digital inputs on
Transporter from the player interface. The trick is to bury these
features in a way they don't clutter up anything in the "plain"
interface while still being somewhat simple to reach. The way is to
have items easily or less easily accessible based on the frequency of
use.

I also have been asking for a use-case description because I somewhat
lack an understanding on what a more general approach is good for.
I definitely do NOT understand what Airremote et al are good for if
they use IR as a channel, and this is also why I am always pretty
critical about "Multimedia". My experience is that different Media have
very different requirements and that mixing those into one system will
simply give you a bad system. I'm having a bad time with this approach
here in Germany because right now everybody is so obsessed with
"convergence" and video.

I'll give you an example: I believe an iPod touch is a VERY good remote
for playing music (obviously) because you can access your database, you
can manipulate players and playlists and generally you are flexible to
show a lot of information and have a flexible use case. Plus - and
that's the most important point for me - you can carry it around
because I tend to listen to music everywhere: Kitchen, bathroom, sofa,
bed... It has one drawback, and that is lack of immediate access
because you have to disable the screen saver first.
For TV or video, IMHO, the situation is very different. I don't carry
my TV around a lot and it does have a big screen to give me all the
visual feedback I want. So for a TV, I believe an infrared device is
the better solution. I also don't have the problem that it ends up
being in another room, since I only use it in a line-of-sight area from
the TV screen.

So as much as I (would) hate having 25 remotes around, I believe
merging these two use cases will result in unnecessary compromises on
at least one side and that while even adding additional cost - given
the price of simple IR remotes.

Just my 2cts :-)

--
pippin