Probably I should be more specific.
I don't use IRBlaster myself, so I have little experience with this,
but from what I can see, can't you only use volume and power with
IRBlaster?
Or can you configure other commands as well?
And another issue: If you use that approach, the states sent by
IRBlaster have to match the player's states (volume and on/off) so you
can't really control something else without manipulating the player as
well.
Anything else will require either a new hardware - and here I don't see
a big difference to Airremote et al - OR you need a plugin that offers a
separate control layer from the physical player's. The latter is what I
proposed.

iPeng itself can only communicate to the server, after all the
iPod/iPhone doesn't have IR and you can't talk to the player directly,
so a suitable plugin to communicate to is needed.
And when that is done, we can clearly talk UI. I disagree that you can
have a generic approach for all UI tasks, after all, you will see that
most stuff providing good UIs will have a good portion of this stuff
custom coded for specific use cases, look at Airremote or IRedtoch and
you see what I mean. So the way to go is to define what we want to do
and then we can see how it can be implemented in a generic way so that
different plugins that support the use case can support this, but
supporting something through a generic UI without looking at the use
case will only result in yet another menu.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, at penguinlovesmusic.com