chroma;416068 Wrote:
> my experience has been that once a collection becomes extremely large
> (ie, > 25k tracks), musicip is rather error prone, and Genius is
> excellent.

I can't comment on Genius, but MusicIP mixes have worked well enough
for me on a large collection on a daily basis that I would say its more
a matter of personal preference.

I have occasionally seen "drift" where MusicIP picks up on adjacent
tracks which are individually close to each other, but slowly morph
into a completely different mix style over time, but more common is
long multi-hour mixes where the over theme and style are consistent yet
innovative. The only exception are occasional albums which seem to
flummox MusicIP's coding causing a mix based on any song from that
album to bring up largely other tracks on that same album, but its
rare.

My feeling is any tech that mixes based on consensus and user
submissions (genius, last.fm, pandora) will inevitably lead to a
greatest hits area where you'll always end up with the most popular
song/artist in any given genre with enough time.

Also I do feel that any greater integration with iTunes will over time
hurt Squeezecenter, as it will constantly have to react to changes
brought about by Apple and users who don't understand that they
effectively using two separate systems to interpret their music. If
Squeezecenter ends up being an extension of iTunes, then the system is
ultimately doomed.

--
sander