This intrigues me. A few years ago I wrote playlisting software that was
very similar to music-ip, but used a very different approach to build
playlists-

It was a crowd sourcing web-app, that kept a database of every song
users had in their library. It analyzed the BPM and a few other things-
but it used crowd based tags (and a Bayesian algorithm to make it work
for each user), and it created playlists based on certain criteria:

You could pick a mood, or pick a song and make playlists that were
similar, different, same tempo, different tempos, and so on.

I never released the client, which is based on the .net framework, and
the software only creates winamp playlist files, but maybe this is
something the squeezebox community would be interested in
ressurecting.

I couldn't tell you if it would ever do as well as music ip- but I've
used a similar technology for a photos site to find similar photos, and
I've liked it (http://www.stockphox.com). In the end it would depend on
the users to really push functionality (tagging), but it could turn
into a fun community-type site.

Thoughts?

--
FredFredrickson