I have the Harmony 880, and 688, and love them both...what specifically didn't you like about them? I have been able to get them to do everything I want. My 880 has replaced all 12 of my remotes, as had my 688 previous to that.

I'm just curious.

Danny Rego

----- Original Message ----- From: "MrC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <discuss@lists.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: [slim] Re: Universal (All-for-one) remote controls?

Crisis absolutely!

Your post is very timely for me.  To replace our dozen or more remotes,
I purchased a Harmony 880 after rave reviews, worked with it for several
hours programming it via the web interface, and sent the pile of crap
back for a refund. (if anyone cares for more details, i'll be happy to
give my list of overwhelming thumbs-down features).  This device was to
replace our boxy Sony AV2000 (if i recall the model number correctly).

I've never found a single, reasonably-priced device that works well
enough to be the miracle cure.  Every single one will have that one or
two things that doesn't work, where you have to break out the old
remote anyway.

Its a sad state that the amount of time searching for, programming, and
using these universal panaceas FAR exceeds their practicality,
usefulness and savings.  I now find it easier to just click the amp
button a few feet away rather than worrying about finding a remote to
deal with the deficiencies of the dishplayer 942 universal-ish remote
we use 95% of the time to control our devices.  I'm now in the 80/20
camp with remotes - get one that does the basics of what you do day to
day... and call it a day.

If you feel still inclined, here's the best review site i've seen:
http://www.remotecentral.com/

--
MrC