aguess;426681 Wrote:

> now just a little nervous about moving away from the classic
> amp/speaker set-up that i understand :)

Fully understand that :-)

Just did it myself and I have to admit I'm happy with it.
I agree the A5's (which are derived from th A7 studio monitor) probably
don't fit everywhere (although I was happy they come in white; look much
more unobtrusive then my old Cantons).
Also, at first I was concerned about volume since they are much smaller
than the ones they replace (less then half the volume; half the rated
power), yet you have to be aware there ARE advances in speaker
technology (mainly due to new magnets) and active speakers will need
less power than passive ones since you have less losses. The A5's, for
example, have a separate amp for each channel so you don't need any
filters behind the amp.

So if you replace speakers from 10 years ago or so expect them to be
smaller and have a lower power rating at the same output volume.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, at penguinlovesmusic.com