Yes, I definitely consider the double wireless hop less than ideal.
However, even with my very old laptop, my connection issues have
decreased down to a lost connection when there has been no network
traffic for some time (i.e. first thing in the morning or first thing
when I get home from work).  Once I "wake up" the router, I don't
experience any dropout issues any more.

Maybe when the new computer gets here, I won't even have those minor
issues.  If I do, perhaps I'll see about another solution that will let
me keep the computer hard-wired...or an 802.11N router.  Anyone have
real-world experience of the better coverage and throughput that N
offers over G?

--
kowloonside