Howard Passman;437424 Wrote:
>  Personally, I always recommend the SB3 starting out.
>
> These little boxes have so much to offer in entertainment once you get
> the hang of it.
>
> Howard

+1 here. I was successful with a Duet but a zillion emails to the
friend I set it up for in the last few months confirms the SB3 as the
better option IMHO. I agree also with the OPs sobre remarks. Well put,
but like Howard I really hope you sort it out. One tip - once you find a
configuration that works with your arrangement of
server/OS/devices/remote solutions/filetypes/plugins/extras - stick with
it. Turn off automatic updates, set and forget. By way of example I got
6 months perfect, trouble free usage out of 7.3.1. A server/OS on my
side change precipitated some fiddling, and another day and I was go
with 7.4. But then a router change messed up some of my radio, so back
to 7.3.3. Then something changed at SN another month later that affected
Linux, and now I'm a happy customer of 7.3.4 :)

I admit it all sounds a little bonkers but it was my choice to change
the server, rock the boat. And at a time when there were a lot of
changes going on in the SW. That time of flux continues with 7.4 around
the corner somewhere. Like you - most of my issues were with internet
radio and music services via SN through SC.

If you want my advice - and for sure you didn't ask for it - think
about an SB3. Sounds radical and like a sales pitch, but it will provide
delightful colours for the baby to watch, and will probably be a lot
easier to set up. Your situation notwithstanding, they are cheap kit for
what they do. Set the Duet aside until a rainy day, and you'll have two
synced players in time for toddling.

However I disagree with the 'little boxes and entertainment comment' -
the box is just a convenient and high-quality transport for your tunes.
It's gotta remain about the tunes, not the boxes!

Oh and P.S congratulations :) you are one fine parent for sharing music
with the new baby.

--
Dingostrategy

Lounge: SB3 + Genelec 6010A | Kitchen: SB3 + $80 bookshelf stereo. Top
shelf gear. | Bedroom/Terrace - Boom | Headless Asus EEE Box & Linux
Mint | iPod touch/iPeng

"Dear Mother, kindly forward underwear, DAC and those Jensen's I bought
offa ebay"

'dingostrat...@last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/DingoStrategy/)