Just adding my 2 cents as another Duet user. To me the issue is the
powering down just makes the device unusable in many instances, if you
keep it cradled generally or use it constantly so it doesn't power down
its great.

I use the Duet kind of like I would a Squeezebox touch, really I use it
as a screen for the receiver near by receiver in my kitchen, and
occasionally for a controller when it's helpful to see more screen real
estate. For this its been great, and based on my limited usage its been
great, and my girl friend really bought into the squeezebox system with
the expanded ui.

That said if it goes to sleep all bets are off. Half the time it can't
connect and often it just needs to be rebooted. As it is sitting in the
charger it drops in and out of the player list in Squeezecenter.

Now before people accuse me of having some flakey network I have an Sb3
and Boom which are twice as far as the controller ever gets and they
stay connected 24/7.

The issue is the SqueezeOS stuff is still pretty primitive and flakey
next to the SB2 approach which has been honed over a period of years. I
hope it will mature, but time will tell.

--
sander