agillis;438570 Wrote:
> I'm trying to design the ultimate NAS for SqueezeCenter. And I am
> interested in getting some input from the community. I think we already
> have the ultimate NAS operating system. VortexBox is light weight, fast,
> easy to configure, ripps CDs for you, and it's free!
>
> Our appliance draws 24 watts, is fast, and high capacity (1TB). So
> what's next? What direction should we go to make the appliance better.
> Here are some possible design goals. What does everybody want the most.
>
> 1. Quiet - This seems like something people want unless there putting
> their NAS is a closet someplace. Should we try to make the appliance
> even quieter? Or maybe no moving parts at all, completely silent?
>
> 2. Size - If we removed the CD ripping drive we could make the NAS
> smaller then a SqueezeBox classic. Are people interested in this?
>
> 3. Low power - 24 watts is very little power you can run the system for
> $20 a year in power. But maybe we could make it lower power. Would
> people be interested in a less than 10 watt appliance?
>
> 4. Bigger capacity - How about a 4.5TB NAS? Are people interested in
> this type of capacity? Even if the noise and power consumption is
> higher?
>

> We are building VortexBox software and the appliance for music
> listeners. Please post your comments and help us figure out what to
> build next!

Would it be possible to add a switch/option to turn the dual ripping
off. I only need to rip to FLAC. Don't need to waste drive space on MP3s
or time deleting them.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Ford Expedition: SB3, ToughBook