I don't have any great insights because sync has been working fine for
me, but here are a couple ideas. Do you still get the problems if the
playlist doesn't have any transcoded tracks (AAC in your case)? When the
players are drifting apart, what happens on track transitions? Is there
any stuttering/re-starting as SC tries to re-sync the players, or do
they just carry on, with one player making the song transition smoothly
2-3 seconds before the other makes a smooth transition? (I'm assuming
here that your individual tracks are not 30 minutes long -- please let
me know if that assumption is wrong!)

--
aubuti