GRC,

IRtrans is a bit pricy, but is an impressive bit of kit.  Very similar
to the global cache product, it can be controlled by PC resident
software (supplied) as well as the iPod app.  Can drive discrete
flashers or use the high output LEDs on the box.  Took it to bits,
nicely built, based on a PIC microcontroller. I notice that the
iRedtouch site is now mentioning compatability with the Global Cache box
(beta), you might be able to get one of these GC boxes cheaper than the
IRtrans.

The IRtrans PC software gives macro capability and can control the unit
functionality from a PC, but if you want macros on the iPod you have to
'teach' the button you want to contol the macro the correct sequence of
commands. A bit clunky, but it works.

Switching between remotes is quick, two or three button presses on the
iPod and the iPod responds immediately displaying the new remote.
Slight delay when controlling devices,  but not enough to be annoying.

I particularly liked the feature that displays an image of the real
remote on the iPod, makes it easy to use if you are familiar with an
existing remote key layout.

Had some problems with keys responding twice when pressed once -
particularly the SKY HD remote.  Problem solved by using the 'NATIVE'
mode - IRtrans product support helped out and were very responsive to my
query.

Just a question on redeye - the site says beta trial has finished and
it isn't available at the moment?

--
Andy8421