You're very welcome, Teus! I'm glad that someone else actually uses
Windows/Linux rsync in almost the same setup :-)

I recently switched from my 100 MBit/s to a 1 GBit network and must say
now it -really- shines! Just moving the -changes- within the files
across the network really pays off — after the initial copy, of course.
And I much agree that good old "cp" is much faster for the initial
backup! ;-)

Another hint: External (backup) USB discs should be NTFS-formatted.
This allows for swapping them between Windows and Linux systems without
getting into any character set troubles if you use extended characters
in filenames, like I do. The ntfs-3g driver for Linux seems to be stable
enough not to mess up anything — at least it has never let me down.

*Remember:* If you use the 'rsync solution from the wiki'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Backing_up_Your_Music), you
-need- to install the mentioned cygwin patch for Windows — otherwise
you'll end up with messed-up filenames! (For reasons lying within
cygwin, the filenames with extended characters will -look- messed-up in
DeltaCopy's rsync status window but will be fine on disc — and that's
what counts.)

--
Moonbase

Moonbase: 'The Problem Solver' (http://www.kaufen-ist-toll.de/moonbase)