This is of no help at all to the OP, but this thread has given me the
impetus to get slimserver working with djb's daemontools
(http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html).

Here's what I did.

1. Create a directory for the service and the log:

# mkdir -p /etc/slimdata/service/log

2. Create the slimserver run file:

# vi /etc/slimdata/service/run

#!/bin/sh

SLIMSERVER_HOME='/usr/local/slimserver'
SLIMSERVER_BIN="${SLIMSERVER_HOME}/slimserver.pl"
SLIMSERVER_CFG='/etc/slimdata/slimserver.conf'
SLIMSERVER_USER='slimserver'
SLIMSERVER_ARGS="--prefsfile=${SLIMSERVER_CFG}"
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.ISO-8859-1

exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid $SLIMSERVER_USER $SLIMSERVER_BIN
$SLIMSERVER_ARGS 2>&1

3. Create the log run file:

# vi /etc/slimdata/service/log/run

#! /bin/sh
LOGDIR=/var/log/slimserver
exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid slimserver multilog n20 s10485760
$LOGDIR

4. Make both run files executable:

# chmod +x /etc/slimdata/service/run
# chmod +x /etc/slimdata/service/log/run

5. Set permissions on whole service directory:

# chown -R slimserver:slimserver /etc/slimdata/service

6. Create the log dir:

# mkdir /var/log/slimserver

7. Set permissions on log dir:

# chown slimserver:slimserver /var/log/slimserver

8. Stop slimserver (run from init.d):

# service slimserver stop

8. Start the new service:

# cd /service
# ln -s /etc/slimdata/service slimserver

9. Check it's running:

# svstat /service/slimserver/ /service/slimserver/log
/service/slimserver/: up (pid 21223) 506 seconds
/service/slimserver/log: up (pid 21002) 954 seconds

10. Remove the service from init.d permanently;

# chkconfig --del slimserver
# chkconfig --list slimserver
service slimserver supports chkconfig, but is not referenced
in any runlevel (run 'chkconfig --add slimserver')

Notice I have not used the "t" option in the multilog line (timestamp).
This is because most (not all) slimserver output is already timestamped.
It would be better (for this application anyhow) to turn off slimserver
timestamping and to turn on multilog timestamping. That would ensure
that *all* output is timestamped, even plug-in output.

I hope someone else finds this useful.

R.

--
robinbowes