SoftPhill;366923 Wrote:
> I have 2 of these and was on the beta forum, they did tonnes on the
> firmware over the last year and it plays loads of formats. The updates
> dried up about 2 months ago because the EVA9000 is coming out. I have
> high hopes for this machine when it comes to market. I have attached a
> jpeg with the formats it states it can do. Basically, the shortfall of
> the 8000 is that the memory was too small and the processor too slow.
> This should improve that situation as it updates the tech.
> Hope this helps

I have one of these and I use it for pretty much all of my recorded
media now. Mainly 720p video but some 1080p as well. I'm not sure I'd
have paid the full price when new but at the price I bought mine for (GB
£150 from play.com) I think it's pretty good value.

The interface isn't perfect but it's quite useable and it will play
most things that are thrown at it.

Mine is cabled as I had problem running 1080p wireless.

The main issue is that it can't downmix DTS to stereo (codec licencing
issues I believe) like it can with AC3 so depending on the file you are
playing you may need to convert the audio. There are utils to do this so
it's no big deal.

A good solution if you already have a server for your Squeezecenter (or
a ReadyNAS or similar)

--
nolan