epoch1970;454147 Wrote:
> In case you want to decode about any format in high-def, you'll need to
> use software decoders in the CPU. I think a Core 2 is ok for anything
> 720p and a big quad is necessary for 1080p @ very high bitrates as found
> on a blu ray movie.
> (A big quad won't do for a nice htpc, imho: power = heat = noise.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't video playback single-threaded,
making a big quad a little bit of overkill?  Dollar for dollar, I think
you're probably better off getting a dual core with a fast clock than a
quad, especially when you also consider power consumption.

I built a MythTV box about a year ago with a e8400 (3GHz C2D) and it's
more than fast enough to handle all of the high-bitrate, hi-res video
that I've thrown at it.

--
cooppw02