chinablues;456882 Wrote:
> The OP's 'conclusion' post gave a good & detailed summary of the various
> postings, but I have to agree with the comment from iPhone...QUALITY
> enters into the picture for me.  ...

indeed - but that was exactly my point when saying that most people
reading and posting into this forum, and spending much thought on the
subject, are the minority in the market. so don't assume your neighbor
is going to need your setup, that's all. :-)

i agree with the quality statement, but then again quality from a
certain point on is relative. the audiophile that laughs at someone
spending $5k on esoteric cables (while having spent 10k on speakers
himself) may in turn be laughed at by someone with a very clean, simple
sub-$2k setup that actually can sound pretty darn good these days. where
do you drawe the line for quality? i agree that 128k MP3 is unacceptable
for truly concentrated listening - but think that 256k MP3s sond pretty
good, and that a lot of music that audiophiles t this day use as a
reference (Orff "carmina Burana" anyone) does not need FLAC, arguably
the original recordning is not diminished an ounce at 192k. then again
stuff like Kevin Mahogany's "pride and enjoy" - it begs for FLAC and a
deserving system to breathe and induce utter musical bliss.

the point is - quality is very relative, and while no doubt is based on
some truths in technology and setup, it also to a certain degree
includes some less rational considerations with some regularity.

anyhow, anyone posting to this discussion is *not* representative of
the market average, we think *way* too much about quality. most people
do not even care to hear a difference between 128k and higher resolution
and just want convenience and a nice background soundtrack here and
there.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo (8GB) - Vista Ultimate 64 and
Ubuntu 9.04 64
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned)
Headphones: Grado SR-1