A lot of different topics in this thread but an interesting discussion.

My view around ripping/tagging is that you are never going to get 100%
correct first time but there are some great tools out there which will
automate the process.

My personal approach is to use vortexbox on my small server, its great
to get a new CD in the post, pop it in the server and 10-15 later its
ripped, tagged, got cover art & available on my Squeezeboxes - this was
particularly beneficial when I re-ripped my cd collection into FLAC
earlier this year. I'm moving house at the moment, the Cd's are being
boxed up and will stay that way, as I've got all my music stored on the
server in lossless format then I have no need for having the cd's in a
rack taking up a lot of space.

Of course, there are times when it doesn't get the correct information
and I have to manually edit tags (I use mp3tag & the find cover art
plugin for this).

Before buying my first Squeezebox I used iTunes for ripping music to
then transfer to iPod/iPhone, to be honest I never had any problems and
liked the software, as it stands I rarely use it now and using SB kit
has opened my eyes to the limitations of Apple.

In terms of a "typical user", I fully understand where people come from
with that, I have a group of friends, we're all late 20's and everyone
has either an iPod or iPhone, out of that group I think perhaps only 2/3
from the 15 would be savvy enough to use SB kit - looking at the touch
and the radio these are the type of products that may well push that
number up. That might come across as slightly snobby but I think people
will know what I mean.

--
socistep