jdoering;469906 Wrote:
> As you probably know, cable length restrictions are about timing
> tolerances and Ethernet protocol efficiency / error detection. I do
> believe that there is quite a bit of robustness built into Ethernet and
> that the tolerances likely have a good degree of safety factor; but I
> don't think you can use simple testing to make a very strong conclusions
> that it "works correctly". Yes it probably "kinda, mostly works"; but it
> may degrade performance or cause intermittent problems that are harder
> to detect (e.g. high packet corruption rates, lower transmission rates,
> etc due to problems with collision detection and such). These issues
> might not matter much if performance isn't an issue - but I wouldn't
> want to have to worry about the what-if when things don't go quite
> right.
>
> I'd personally stick with the specs and use switches, etc appropriately
> to solve distance issues.
>
> -Jeff

so measure it with testing software, leave it for a few days testing,
whatever; however in my exp, if it works its fine.  its something the OP
could try, if its no good, it was worth a try.

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbr (parent's home) - w/sc 7.3.4b - win xp pro
sp3 ie8 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link dir-655