Sue, somehow your post inspired me to try a few more things.

I booted from an old backup, completely cleared all traces of
SqueezeCenter/SqueezeboxServer and reinstalled. All went well, so the
problem is *not* with the Radio or connection through my router.

But on returning to my main drive, the problem persists after a wipe
and reinstall of SBS. And it continues if I create a completely new user
and start SBS as that user.

So it must be somewhere fairly deep within my system.

I would suspect a firewall issue, except that my other Squeezebox
connects fine.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I am using Mac OS 10.6.1

--
danco