Jippers;491062 Wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm sure someone
> will tell me anyway if it isn't!
>
> But anyway, I have an issue with the way SqueezeCenter does volume
> levelling.  FooBar2000 and Winamp have plug-ins that do radio-style
> volume levelling on-the-fly and I've always liked it that way.  To my
> knowledge (and this may have changed recently) Squeezebox doesn't do
> this.  But is there a plug-in for SB that will do that?
>
> Now, before you start going on about the virtues of Reply-Gain and all
> that, I DO NOT WISH TO USE REPLY GAIN AT ALL WHERE POSSIBLE!!!!
> Firstly, I have had too many issues with it and it just doesn't
> calculate level values properly and then SB doesn't read them properly.
> (example: one album I re-applied reply gain to set it to a maximum value
> of 93% (around -3dB) and SqueezeCentre scanned that as being -58dB, thus
> the album is now unplayable in squeezebox).
>
> Secondly, I have a collection on my SqueezeBox system of over 80,000
> songs, and re-applying Reply Gain to make sure every file is set to the
> correct level just isn't an option.
>
> So, is there a plugin that will do this?  I haven't yet upgraded to SB4
> yet - I'm still running Version: 7.3.4 - 27864 as it has been stable
> thus far.
>
> Also too, I can't get the cross-fade function to work at all.  I get no
> gapless playback at all, despite having tyhe settings set to "on" all
> the time.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanx
>
> Dave

Dave,
there are 2 crucial questions:
1) what format are your music files in?
2) how exactly did you apply ReplayGain in the past?

Traditional "Radio-style" levelling involves quite heavy compression
which I'm certain you don't want to do.

I suspect that the method you used to apply RG in the past may not be
correct. I've never had/seen any problems with RG like the ones you
describe.
Likewise, gapless and crossfade.

Anyway, if you answer 1+2 above perhaps we can help.
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio