aubuti;492633 Wrote:
> Do they have RG tags or don't they? If they don't have RG tags then
> SmartGain has absolutely no effect, because it doesn't know how much to
> adjust the volume. And that would be perfectly consistent with what
> you're hearing. If they do have RG tags, then presumably they came that
> way from Amazon, and who knows how they did it. They might have used a
> different reference level for all anyone knows.
>
> EDIT: since you got them as MP3s, re-ripping obviously isn't an option
> for these files. But you could see what a decent program would do for RG
> tags. Unfortunately, the good RG options I know for Linux are FLAC only,
> not MP3. And the good RG options for MP3s I know are Windows only, not
> Linux. Can foobar2k run under Wine?

Thanks for the reply. I have tried both: added tags with easyMP3gain
(having copied files to another folder for experimentation), erased
them... doesn't seem to make any difference, honestly.

What I will do is copy all my music files over to another location and
use foobar on my Win7 PC. I will report on the results.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: Shuttle X27D - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - SBS 7.4.1
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v - Creek OBH21/22
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned) - Audioengine 5/S8 - Acoustic
Energy Aego M
Headphones: Grado SR-1