usch;495041 Wrote:
> I personally would have preferred a decent 7" display without the touch
> capabilities. After all, it comes with a remote (unlike the Radio), and
> the Classic did not have any buttons either.

You nailed it. I guess the touch capability is the kind of gimmick that
sells stuff - but usually won't be used after the excitement of new
technology wears off.

pfarrell;495076 Wrote:

> What folks tend to forget is that the Classic is just a new name on a
> SB3, and the SB3 is just a new plastic package on the SB2. Its really
> old. Its ancient, almost prehistoric, in computer peripheral times.
> The
> underlying technology of the Classic/SB3/SB2 is nearly too old to
> contemplate. Sure, its dirt cheap, but so is a Pentium 4 computer.

The fact that something is old is a bad excuse to make something new. I
don't care if it's old - I only care if it works. And it does exactly
what I want from my wifi music player to do - play music and show what's
playing even when I'm further away.

ModelCitizen;495091 Wrote:
> Yes they will. They can add music to it via a Samba network share or by
> plugging the drive directly into their PC.

Now that is something I can agree is an advantage for the Touch (again,
where is this mentioned outside the forums?). If the user doesn't need
plugins or the web-UI, then this is front page news IMHO. The fact that
Squeezeboxes needs a computer or other platform (NAS) to run the server
is the most limiting factor I can think of at the moment.

But since I DO need plugins and the web-UI, this won't cut it for me.

toby10;495121 Wrote:
> Touch advantages over SB3:
> -  color display (album art on player)
> -  touch screen
> -  USB input (used as a server or quick Plug & Play usage)
> -  built in server (with limitations)
> -  24/96 support
> -  better DAC
> -  acts as a Controller for all other SB players

- Album art: album art is nice, but I wouldn't pay for it - for a long
time now I have not thought my music as "albums". I have playlists that
contain songs from many different albums and artists, thus I don't
really care of the whole "album" concept. But maybe this is just me.
- Touch screen: touch screen will most likely be useless for me
(although I reserve the right for changing my mind:)). Let me ask you
this: you are laying on the couch listening to music and you want to
skip a song/adjust the volume. Do you get up to do this, or use the
remote that you can reach from the sofa? I can't think of any scenario
where I would want to control my music player without a remote, other
than to show off my shiny (or not so shiny, depending on the amount of
fingerprints) touch screen to someone else.
- USB input: this is a basic function for any music player these days,
and kinda goes against the whole idea of networked music player
- Built in server: Good!
- 24/96: don't really know anything about this.. But I'm happy with my
current sound quality.
- better DAC: Isn't this only used with analog output? Correct me if
I'm wrong..
- Controller for other players: I have never had multiple SB's so can't
comment much about this.. Can't you already control all SB's through
web-interface? And if you have different music playing on different
rooms, it would be kinda pointless to control them from somewhere else
than the room in question.

Thanks for the good discussions everyone, I needed some opinions about
this since it's been bugging me for a long time :D

The fact that I now need to pay much more for things I don't need still
remains however. 300 euros is right on the edge of being WAY too much
for a device like SB's. This whole thing actually started when I
considered giving SB as a christmas present and then noticed the price
difference (not to mention the fact that right now I can't buy a
Squeezebox without speakers at all!). But as always, this is just my
opinion.

--
squeez-er