Audible is now owned by Amazon so going out of business I suspect is not
on the near horizon and with my own level of customer satisfaction I
suspect their customer base has grown since its early days so as of now
is a healthy viable business, but 15-years from now..who knows.

Just for clarity: on the sonos, somewhat like on the squeezebox with
all the apps you simply fill in the account username and password
section of the simple dialog, much like you do for your slacker, sirius,
pandora, napster, etc account on 'mysqueezebox.com'. In action it really
is quite simple and wilth the numerous device able to play audible
content (I even play it on my Garmin GPS on road trips)I suspect that it
really isnt so cumbersome to get the squeezebox/server as one additional
device that can play the files. All you do is furnish user account
authentication to verify that they are being used by the account holder.
No wait, no delay, they start playing immediately.
I'm a somewhat regular fellow so cant speak to the complexity under the
surface if any, I would expect the squeezebox will need to be approved
by audible as they have the devices that work with their files listed on
their site so a hack-app that didnt go thru the appropriate process
seems likely to be trouble legally but from the perspective of a user it
was as simple as any other squeezebox 'app' to set up.

Remember, if I were so inclined I can still go thru the tedium of
converting all my content into cd-audio (burning them to CD)

Frankly, just like buying a VolksWagen, I'm not so concerned about the
company going belly up leaving me with a product that I can no longer
get spare parts or/and service for. I just dont have that concern and my
desire to listen to my DRM audible files on a squeezebox NOW are a
higher on my list that affirming that I can still listen to my files
generally in 2034 A.D.

--
Moozh