toby10;504319 Wrote:
> Absolutely agree and very unlikely.
> But then, I'm sure the many people buying from Yahoo Music thought the
> same thing about the "safety" of buying from Yahoo, a multi-billion
> dollar operation still in business and still growing.   ;)
>
> The point is, if it's DRM'd then you are just renting it.  For how
> long?  Who knows.  2 years?  10 years?  50 years?  The length of time
> you are allowed to use it is up to the actual owner (not you).
>
> The content owner only needs to decide to get out of *that* business,
> not necessarily go *out* of business.

Sort of, sort of not for Audible. As others have mentioned they do
allow conversion to CD (and third-party products can use that
functionality to convert to other digital formats at very high speed
with no actual CDs involved). So they don't force you to stay locked in
their DRM if you're worried about it expiring. There is arguably quality
loss (not that it's amazing to begin with) and it's cumbersome though so
far from ideal.

But it is more open than some DRM schemes that don't provide any legal
access to the decoded data (Kindle e-books for example).

I also suspect that they wouldn't allow server-side decoding due to DRM
concerns; but it's pretty funny considering the existing CD loophole.

-Jeff

--
jdoering