results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73698
Question: Is third party plugins/applets important for your Squeezebox
purchases ?

- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless support for third
  party development is prioritized
- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless the third party
  plugins I rely on is supported
- I use third party plugins but I would still consider buying more
  Squeezebox products without them
- I don't use third party plugins so they aren't important to my
  Squeezebox purchases

The open-source nature of the squeezebox as well as the extensive
3rd-party plugins available was a major reason I originally bought a
squeezebox.  My thoughts, which were verified by my subsequent
experience, was that active 3rd party development meant a more
responsive device.  Users would write plugins to do all sorts of useful
and cool things and this would get done more quickly than if left up to
the main developers.

Today, certain plugins -- primarily erland's suite -- are critical to
using my squeezebox.  I'm already frustrated at how poorly they appear
to be accepted by the main developers of SqueezeCenter (or whatever it's
called these days.)  For example, it's simply incomprehensible to me
that some sort of "smart list" creation tool hasn't been built-in to the
main server.  This is a basic feature of most every other music player
available, and is going to be a feature that new users look for.  Of
course, playlist generation in general is painful, another missed
opportunity in my opinion.

I can't understand why Logitech would want to stand in the way of 3rd
party development.  Firstly, as others have pointed out, they get a lot
of free help from 3rd party developers.  Secondly, it seems to be the
paradigm of the future; see the iPhone and the iStore.  Thirdly, they
might do well to consider the economic of the Long Tail.  Some attribute
the success of amazon.com to capturing the Long Tail.  Here it means
that 3rd party developers can create tools that only a few customers
want, but those customers *really* want them and they'll only be
customers if those tools are available.  Might not make sense for the
mothership engineers to do the development for a handful of customers,
but if a 3rd party does it for free, then Logitech just captures some
more customers.  Multiply that by many similar "niche" markets and you
have a sizable effect.

Well, anyway, they know all that.  Not clear what our effect our
comments will have ...

--
wnshall