The data I'm talking about does show up on a web query on musicbrainz,
and it also appears to come through the XML WebService API.  On the web
page for each artist, it will show up in normal font two lines below the
big bold header of the normalized artist name.  For instance:

Tom Waits -> Waits, Tom
http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/35c9a4b0-d4dd-3e6f-87fd-2185519296e2.html

The Who -> Who, The
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/9fdaa16b-a6c4-4831-b87c-bc9ca8ce7eaa.html

Ben Harper and Relentless7 -> Harper, Ben and Relentless7
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/91636f0e-163c-4b8c-a355-d5127998d51f.html

Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas -> Fraser, Alasdair & Haas, Natalie
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/37c81427-68cf-4b5e-b54a-aaf42749ac97.html

So what I'm after would just be a matter of using the latter version of
the name as the artist folder (to get a natural sort with `ls`), rather
than the former (iTunes style).  It's noted in the API documentation
at:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/XMLWebService#The_Artist_Class
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Artist_Sort_Name

It does seems though that I may be the only person in the world
interested in this, so I can certainly just install the software and
patch it myself (at which time I'd be asking about the process for
submitting a patch).

--
eq72521