kunlun121;518690 Wrote:
> Me too...
>
> Having just moved into a new house, rebuffering problems started
> occurring. Because the new house is much larger than the old one, I
> couldn't suffice with a single wireless access point. With my laptop in
> the room where my stereo is I couldn't pick up the signal of the
> wireless router, that was wired to my server. So I invested in new
> hardware.
>
> I am now using a wired network with one of the fastest wired routers on
> the market (Draytek Vigor 2130). A very powerful wireless access point
> is wired to this router. I mean, if a pigeon flies by too close to it,
> it's likely to disappear in a puff of feathers. Signal strength on my
> Squeezebox Duet is indicated to be high (around or over 90% when no
> other wireless devices are present in the room, dropping to 75-80% when
> my wife's watching TV on her laptop over the wireless).
>
> Still, I am having problems with rebuffering. It's so bad that it's
> impossible to listen to music over the squeezebox. It starts after about
> 20 seconds into the first track and it's downhill from there: nothing
> but interruptions, hiccups, and stuttering. Sometimes the squeezebox
> can't even connect to my squeezeserver's library.
>
> I play uncompressed aiff files (regular 16bit/44.1KHz encoded). The
> squeezebox's network tester indicates a clean 100% bandwidth @ 5000kbps
> on the Duet's handset. In the performance menu the priority of the
> squeezebox has been set at -20 (highest).
>
> The home network (both the wired machines and the ones connected
> wirelessly to the access point) allows for very high download speeds
> over my cable internet connection. Wired and wireless I can download
> files from the internet at a stable 46Mbit/s. So data is flowing quite
> effortlessly.
>
> I haven't read all 16 pages of this thread, so forgive me if I'm
> writing stuff that's already been covered. But I get the feeling that
> the problem is related to latency in my network. The new router provides
> for all sorts of "QoS" and "bandwidth management" mechanisms, port
> prioritizing, etc. Don't know how to turn it all off or if it's even
> impacting the flow of bits.
>
> Oh, I'm on OSX snow leopard and running squeezebox server 7.4.1. My
> receiver has firmware 65.
>
> No solution, but will keep looking.

It's possible that your problems are not network related at the
hardware level but at the IP level - possible IP/MAC address conflicts
or packet collisions.
If you want to fix this, disconnect EVERYTHING except your router, SBS
machine and SB hardware. Then reboot all three of those starting with
the router and see if the problem persists. If not, there is a conflict
with another device. Turn them on one by one, testing the SB at each
stage to see what happens.
It could be the Access point that is the problem.

If the problem exists with only the SB, Router and SBS server running
and wired together I don't know what to suggest other than to double
check the MAC addresses of both parts of the Duet are correct and that
they have unique IP addresses.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio