keithleng wrote:

Somebody took my reference to "enthusiastic amateurs" as an insult. It
wasn't intended as that. I've asked for help here before and received
it. It seems to me to be a friendly community of people who enjoy
working with the SB. I disagree with the people who claim that amateurs
are the cream of the crop and are likely to produce better software than
professionals.

Again, I'm not trying to insult people here. I'm coming at this from a
different angle to most. I'm not the least interested in getting into
debugging the code or faffing around with techie stuff. That's my day
job. I simply want the SB to do what it says on the tin.

For the record, the situation I often encounter is that, at the least
provocation, slim.exe will start using 90-odd percent of the CPU and
stay that way. Eventually it will start to stutter. Stopping and
starting it sometimes fixes it; sometimes a machine reboot is needed.

The type of event that triggers this behaviour seems very varied:
stopping and staring a firewall, starting a download on another machine
on the network, receiving an e-mail, or, sometimes, nothing at all.

what kind of firewall? I've seen this with other programs when ZoneAlarm is blocking the program's network access.

I'm also wondering if you're seeing database scans. A high-usage scenario can be caused by fubar'd ID3 tags or recursive shortcuts/links in your library.

I've used SB1 and SB2 on various flavours of linux and windows and on
many different combinations of hardware. I've never had a settled
system and it just gets very wearisome when all I want to do is listen
to some music.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org : It's a Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin, so across the Western ocean I must wander." -- All for Me Grog, trad.