rperre;562567 Wrote:
> ralphy: i tried to compile it with the no alsa option.
>
> I get a portaudio error that no audio output devices are found.
> I probably need to configure a oss device in asound.conf, but...
>
> I had a question about the makefiles though.
>
> Do i use the makefile.linux26-alsa-display or
> makefile.linux26-display and
>
> what is the difference between the two?
>
> Thanks for all your help,
>
> Richard

Sorry, I thought you were using OSS for the usb sound adapters.

You will need to at least load the snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss kernel
modules.

Alternatively, change --without-alsa to --without-oss on the configure
line.  I believe the issue is having both APIs in the library.  I
happen to stumble upon the same error you've been seeing during some
testing on the weekend and disabling the second hostapi I could open
the device.

I'm trying to gather more information before I report it to the
portaudio dev team.

makefile.linux26-alsa-display uses the portaudio development library
which includes support for alsa, oss and pulseaudio.  Squeezeslave has
additional command line options with this makefile. It also uses the
newer v19 api.

makefile.linux26-display uses the stable portaudio library v0.18.1 and
only supports OSS.  It uses the older v18 api.  I'm planning to
depreciate this makefile eventually.

--
ralphy