I have run my SlimServer Squeezebox set up on lots of different Windows XP
based machines using different wireless and wired networks. I have always
been very less than please with the performance of SlimServer, finding that
when listing albums artists, genres etc there are constant freezes and I can
make a sandwich and eat it sometimes before the Squeezebox will display the
list. I use the remote and have a library of about 800 flac albums.

Recently I have been trying to get Linux set up on a small laptop to see if
this improved performance at all.. So far I've got through three distros,
all of which I've found unusable. Whilst doing this I have been racking my
brains about what could be different about my set up, as other Windows XP
users report that SlimServer runs fine for them.

There is only one unusual thing I do that I can think of. I put reviews and
bio's of the group/album into the Flac comment tag (this can be a lot of
text). Is it possible that this could somehow cause SlimServer to react very
slowly?

BTW. If anyone can recommend a Linux/Unix distro that will run very well on
a 500khz, 512mRAM Pentium laptop, but that includes a (light?) gui front end
(as I do not have the time to get to grips with the CLI) I'd a appreciate
it. I only want to run SlimServer on it.

Simon Turner
Brighton UK
Telephone GB:     07973 628683
International: +44 7973 628683