MacFrugal;603528 Wrote:
> I was wondering if there will be any new Squeezebox products or updates
> coming out this year? Something like a Boom 2 with bigger speakers or a
> larger display?

They always keep their roadmap very close to their chest until a
product is almost ready for market. What we don't know is how
successful the Squeezebox line is and whether Logitech consider it
financially viable to extend the range further. It is a pretty "niche"
product so that could be a major limiting factor.

The obvious move would be to extend the use of SqueezeOS (used in the
Radio and Touch) across the range together with more powerful
processors and DACs. This permits the use of the colour and touch
screens as well as "native" support for a broader range of file types
and at higher bit-rates which will reduce the need for the SqueezeBox
Server to transcode and/or down-sample.

Obvious developments would be:

1. Boom v2 with Radio-like colour screen
2. Duet v2 with more capable Receiver with the processing power of the
Touch and an improved Controller with a bigger screen.

I doubt they would want to make the Boom bigger, part of its attraction
is its portability and big sound from a small device.

Longer shots would be:

3. A SqueezeBox badged "server" - a "headless" mini PC or NAS offering
full support for the SB clients "out of the box".  I have been hoping
for this ever since I bought my Duet in 2008!
4. A high quality amplified, but speaker-less, player more in the line
of the products supplied by Sonos, but with the Touch screen.

These last two would be a major departure from their current ethos
which is to supply the simple network client hardware and let the open
source and add-on community do the rest. Then again the Boom and Radio
were a departure from this so who knows?

What do others think?

--
TheLastMan

Matt

*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology Diskstation 107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157)
running Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline. LPs ripped using Behringer
UCA202 USB into Windows XP PC