I did something similar, except turned off WiFi on the phone and turned
it back on:

1) Wifi off:  reconnect with 3G, rebuffered new song, as you
predicted.
2) Wifi on:  song kept playing as Wifi connected, but buffer emptied,
song stopped.   Although SqueezePlayer reports "WiFi connected" there
is no buffering or music playback.
3) Wifi off again:  Goes to "3G connected", no buffering, no playback.

The server, however, still sees the player, and looks like it's still
playing to it if you look at it via the web interface.  When it gets to
the end of the song the remaining timer keeps going up and the song
length also increases (I've seen this with other communications
problems with the server.)
Eventually SqueezePlayer just hangs, if I haven't turned playback off
and on.

--
mrfantasy

--Mike