Just to clear everything up here.

1: ANY router can do Airplay between airplay capable devices (only
airport express can be used as an airport-analog-output-endpoint)

2: If squeezebox wants to support airplay, it can. Apple allows it.
Don't know how much it will cost logitech though.

3: Squeezeserver actually doesn't need to have anyhting to do with
airplay. Each squeezebox could be standalone an airplay device that
shows up as speakers for any airplay source like iphone, ipad etc.

4: Itunes actually doesn't need to be any part in this either. For
example: Wirless network with ANY router. iphone connected, squeezebox
connected (no server, no pc, no mac) IF the squeezebox was a true
airplay device the iphone could stream DIRECTLY to the squeezebox.

Bottom line: a firmware update could turn any squeezi into a true
airplay endpoint to which we could stream from iphones, ipods, ipads or
those who want itunes.

Personally I think if logitech doesn't do that they really risk
something. They can make the squeezebox a valid accessory for apple
devices and at the same time be what they are. For what is worth, I
will not buy another squeezi if they aren't going airplay. I will just
get an appletv and use it for audio only. I can put a death cheap
appletv in any room in the house and stream from my iphone to it
whenever and whereever I am. I'd love if the squeezi could do it, but
if they dont, its my last one.

A company does always good if they keep it compatible with as many
services as possible. Ignoring airplay would be a huge mistake.

--
analographi