rpress;636672 Wrote:
> CPU usage is normally around 40% which is not bad I suppose for a
> StrongARM at 220 MHz.

Without an fpu that's quite good, depending on the stream format.  I
run SS on a Pentium MMX 133MHz cpu laptop, with an fpu at around 60%
cpu playing flac.

rpress;636672 Wrote:
> When I change tracks the sound will usually stutter.  Sometimes it
> sounds like the sound from the previous track will play Max Headroom
> style, and other times the new track will play but it will be slow and
> choppy for a bit.  If I add -p500 to the command line this pretty much
> goes away.

Using OSS audio on my laptop above I have to use -p940 to quell the
same stutter issue.

If you're using ALSA try playing with the -y parameter.

The stuttering is caused by the mutex locks in the portaudio callback
function pa_callback in slimaudio_output.c  Any blocking function calls
in the callback is a no-no for PA. Squeezeslave has been this way since
I started maintaining it 4 years ago.  It's been on my TODO list to fix
for a long time but the problem only manifests itself on slow cpus and
since the -p option masks the problem, I've had very little reason to
bother.

rpress;636672 Wrote:
> Maybe there is a way to fix this so it doesn't start playing the new
> track until it is ready?

Not really, track changes are all handled from the server in the
slimprotocol connection.

rpress;636672 Wrote:
> Has anyone worked on autodiscovery of the server?

I've never had a request for autodiscovery until now.

--
ralphy

Ralphy

*4*-Classics, *2*-Booms, *12*-Squeezeslaves
'Squeezeslave' (http://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezeslave&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.