gharris999;639319 Wrote:

> I don't use the ASIO version of squeezeslave myself and I'm not
> familiar with what its advantages might be.
It sidesteps the windows xp direct sound mixer - in theory that mixer
is supposed to up-convert any lower bitrate audio to be the same as the
highest one currently being mixed.
You'd also need sound hardware that has an asio driver or asio4all that
uses asio in and sends to a lower level win sound driver interface.
Behringer's got an OK device (asio over usb, spdif or analog out) for
around $30.
I use one, with spdif out to a Yam amp (high end some years ago) with a
decent DAC, and can hear the difference between this and spdif direct
from my soundcard to that same amp (cleaner cymbals, mostly).
I'm using JVC pro monitors and an elderly velodyne sub. I wouldn't
bother with smaller speakers as it's not much of a difference.

--
bobkoure