staresy;653246 Wrote:
> Hi thanks for the reply. That's exactly how I set it up but I notice
> that the ip address of the remote location has change - probably
> because it's a dynamic address allocated by the isp and the remote
> rouuter has been rebooted.
>
> Any easy way around this? My thought is to open up the remote address
> to zzz.xxx.yyy.* to allow a range of address in - this would work on
> the assumption that the ISP would only ever allocate an IP address
> within a fixed range.
>
> Is that a reasonable assumption? If not what are my other options...?
>
> Thanks,
> DrS

Since the * there only allows for 256 different addresses, you might
have to use zzz.xxx.* You can also turn-on user/password.

What OS/version is the SBS host? I use remote desktop (securely) to let
me get remote control of the SBS host so I can unblock addresses
remotely. If you have Windows Home versions, you can use VNC to do the
same thing. (There are also patches that add RDP to Home versions- no
warranty expressed or implied.) <"Home" versions contain the program to
"take over" a remote machine but they do not include being remotely
controlled- VNC is a free program that provides this function to/from
any Windows/Mac/Unix/Linux systems.) In either of these cases you'll
also open ports on your modem/router and the SBS host would absolutely
have to have a user (as opposed to a SBS) password.

If you are into programming you can google "dynamic IP notify" for some
free programs that can run on the remote system. They monitor the IP and
send an email when it changes.

pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them.. It is
truly the Golden Age of Wireless