Goodsounds;675107 Wrote:
> Like most people, I'm not interested in learning about an operating
> system. I'd get more bang from the buck from learning more about some
> of the apps I need to use, like Word or Excel. But I'm not interested
> in learning more about them either.
>
> Linux's lack of acceptance among PC users is because people are happy
> to pay for the simplicity and ease of use they get from the MS and
> Apple products. These products don't need to be better, and I'll accept
> what (I think) is your view that they're inferior. It doesn't matter,
> perception wins out.

Yes. And this is coming from someone with a Linux (Vortexbox) based
music server. I would say that something well above 95% of the
population has no desire to use any OS that doesn't work totally by a
GUI.

In addition, using Linux limits your software and hardware choices. For
instance there is some hi-end audio gear I'm interested in without Linux
drivers, and the producers have categorically stated they won't be
writing them.

Most users like the simplicity of installing apps in Windows and Apple
machines. In Apple everything "just works". In newer versions of
Windows, everything almost "just works" and there is a myriad of
different programs for each purpose ranging from free to paid. Linux
die-hards always talk about how great, easy, and user configurable
Linux is - and that's true. But you have to be a geek.

And before you start to argue, just admit to yourself: for about 98% of
the population, using command line code, by definition, makes you a
geek. That may not be your definition, but that's because you're a
geek.

The above mentioned 98% have never used command line code and don't
want to ever need to. When you use a Linux setup and something doesn't
work or can't be installed, you go to the net and search for a
solution. There are lots of solutions, and MANY of them (in some
instances all of them) involve writing code. For most people this is an
automatic dealbreaker in terms of the OS.

--
firedog

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Vortexbox OS; SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-DAC-V3,
MF X-150 as pre-amp, ClassDaudio SDS-470 amp; Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC
with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82
which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.