socistep;675144 Wrote:
> I think the lines are getting blurred here, you need to differentiate
> between Linux and Vortexbox - Vortexbox is based on linux but has been
> custom built to be very user friendly, auto rips, pulls in tags/artwork
> etc, you can do all tasks from an easy to use web interface, you don't
> need to be "geeky" and get into the bones of it, that is one of the
> beauties of the distro.
>
> Whereas if I build a windows home server I would have to install LMS,
> configure various settings etc. etc., much the same using a mac mini

Okay, but just go to the Vortexbox.org forum and check the solutions to
problems that arise for users(And there are many). For virtually every
one of them, the solution involves logging on with a command line
program like Putty and writing/editing code.

So even "user friendly' Vortexbox is way to geeky for most people. I
only know one person besides me that would go anywhere near it, and
he's definitely a computer geek.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much true for all the Linux distros I've
encountered.

And don't get me wrong: I like Vortexbox and think it works well. It
just isn't suitable for anything approaching the mainstream computer
user.

--
firedog

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Vortexbox OS; SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-DAC-V3,
MF X-150 as pre-amp, ClassDaudio SDS-470 amp; Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC
with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82
which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.