It appears that many of us think that the future of Squeezebox is not
too bright so I’ve been looking at what else is on the market for when
the time comes to update my ageing kit or to build on what I have now.
Sonos and Apple Airplay are similar alternatives but the Apple option
has been described by some as non-HiFi.

My current system is something like this:

Apple lossless files - iTunes – Squeeze server – Lossless streaming
over Wifi – Squeezebox Classic – digital coax out to DAC amp and
speakers - iPad control using iPeng.

An Airplay version would be something like this:

Apple lossless files - iTunes – Airplay Lossless streaming over Wifi –
Airport Express – optical out to DAC, amplifier and speakers – iPad
control using Apple Remote.

Is the Squeezebox method more “HiFi” than the Apple?

I think I’ll have my Squeezebox system for some time to come though as
it works really well for me. After the initial set up (which can be a
nightmare) it’s quite a user friendly system, especially when used in
conjunction with the iPeng iPad app. Even adding new music is easy, rip
a CD into iTunes and in a few minutes it appears in on my Squeezeboxes,
no tagging, scanning or whatever is required, it’s easy.

I'd like an extra zone on my system and I'm quite tempted to give the
Airplay system a try. I appreciate i can't sync it with my squeezeboxes
but I dont really need that option where its going.

Andy

--
amrace